Symptoms of Autism Spectrum Disorders and Asperger’s Syndrome include:
- Marked impairments in social and communication skills
- Unusually strong and narrow interests
- Behaving in inflexible and repetitive ways
- Sensory sensitivities (e.g. problems with touch, taste, or smell)
- Fine and gross motor difficulties (e.g. clumsy and poorly coordinated movements and unusual postures).
How common is Autism and Asperger’s Syndrome in children?
Studies have shown that 1 in 160 Australians have an ASD, and that it is more prevalent in boys than girls.
What types of Autism and Asperger’s Syndrome are there?
Helping your child
The following resources will provide information relating to Autism Spectrum Disorder and Asperger’s Syndrome:
Getting professional help
If you, or someone that you know, is in need of additional assistance, the best person to speak to is your GP. They may refer you to a mental health professional, such as a psychologist or psychiatrist.